Sunday, March 7, 2010

P90X is Rock'n the Core Strength


Alright guy/gals, I have to journal this because it's a bit crazy.  Two weeks ago I rolled my foot, broke a blood vessel and had some soft tissue torn (I put a pic of the beautiful foot at the end of this post....I know...nice eh!!).  It looks much worse than it feels.....I thank God it wasn't fractured or a worse soft tissue tear, as that would have put me out for months. So I had to lay off the running for two weeks.  Well this past Friday was two weeks to the day of the injury and I decided to give my regular running course a shot. Here's the incredible news.....I beat my all time course record by 23 seconds (25 minutes, 30 seconds).  And the record before this was set two weeks prior and get this....that run was the first time I had run the course since my triathlon last year.  Now that is absolutely crazy!!  I've been doing my normal running (2-3 x/week - 4-6 miles each run), but there was not one ounce of hard core training for the May 2nd race. I was thinking I would maybe get around 29-30 minutes on that run two weeks ago and instead I got 25:53!!! CRAZY!!!!

Now the only thing that I can attribute to this too, and am certain of it, is that I started doing a workout program called P90X on January 29th. The great thing is that I was able to continue w/ my P90X workouts during those two weeks w/ minor edits to the program when alot of weight was involved w/ the left foot. If you're not familiar w/ P90X, it is Tony Horton's 90 day home fitness challenge, that involves 12 intense DVD's that are designed to workout each and every part of your body. It does not require a lot of fitness equipment, just dumbells, exercise bands and a chin-up bar.  I had always heard that the program produces amazing results if you stick to it.  I am only 37 days into it and look at the incredible results it has produced w/ my running.....truly amazing!!  When I broke my record two weeks ago, I was only 23 days into the P90X program.  This is no joke folks.....P90X works!! I have some great "before" and "now" pics too, which amaze me as well.  I'll write more later on this program and provide some links as well.  If you have questions in the mean time, email me at sjogren@gmail.com

P90X ROCKS THE CORE!! :)

NOTE: P90X did not cause this injury.
I'm way too embarrassed to tell y'all what
really happened. :) No, not a drunk stupor
either...it happened in the house. :)


4 comments:

Scott in Idaho said...

Perry, thanks for this post. I've heard great things about P90X too. This just gives me more incentive to try it out.

Scott in Idaho said...

Forgot to include......that foot looks bad. Can't believe you're able to run on it already. Must be the P90X. :)

Madeline - Venice, CA said...

Thanks for this post. Good luck w/ the race too. I'll be doing it for the first time and am totally FREAKED OUT about the swim, but must say, your blog has rested my mind a bit about it.

TriDebi said...

Hi there, love your blog. My first time doing this crazy race and you've provided some great tips. The core program also sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.