Saturday, March 8, 2008

Four Swimmers and a Sherpa

Alright……guess this is what I get for being a bit to pro-active on the training experiences for the race. I joined Yahoo’s San Francisco tri group, thinking I’d meet other’s doing the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon race. Well I most certainly did meet some others and now three of them are inviting me to do the actual swim with them from Alcatraz to San Francisco on Sunday, May 11th. Yikes oh mighty…….now that freaks me out even more.

We would purchase a ‘U.S. Coast Guard Marine Event Permit” that allows us to cross that channel during the designated time and then hire a kayak sherpa to follow us. I honestly can’t imagine that one……but it would be the perfect solution to calm my nerves a bit between May 11th and June 8th, as I would then have already experienced the true swim. Just trying to think swimming w/ 2,000 people on race day (seems a bit chaotic) or 4 people….which one is less scary. They both seem pretty darn scary to me.

A shot them a note this morning w/ a few more questions:
1) Is the sherpa a lifeguard?
2) Does the sherpa have arm floaties for us (if needed)?
3) Is the kayak a two seater, so I can hop in if freak out?
4) Will the cruise ships and barges be able to see us coming across?

Lets see what they say…...

Found this clip...give's a good feel of what it's like to jump off the boat into the water at Alcatraz.


Latest Training: Swam last night w/ my swim group for an hour and 15 minutes....lost track of the laps but guessing it was around 2,500 yards. Felt great. If knee feels better today, hoping to do a 9-10 mile run today or tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't do it....sound dangerous and would make me poop my pants.

Anonymous said...

I'd say 'hell' to the "no" on that one.