Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Now Going to Swim the Strait of Gibraltar


Huge change in my race plans. I was starting to feel that the Alcatraz swim might not be challenging enough, so I'm going to scrap this race and will now be doing the Strait of Gibraltar swim. For those of you who aren't familiar, the Strait of Gibraltar is the strait that connects the Altantic Ocean to the Mediterranean Sea and separates Spain from Morocco. The strait's narrowest point is 8 miles, but due to the currents I'll actually be swimming 12 miles.

It's definitely a change in plans, but I felt like I needed more miles to swim, plus the water's are a bit more lively south of Spain w/ passing tankers, whales, dolphins and of course lots of sharks, so that will just add to the excitement. Stay tuned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strait_of_Gibraltar

No comments: