Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Another Great Swim

Training is coming along. Nothing new and exciting to report EXCEPT that I had my best 1,000 meter swim on Tuesday, beating my old time by 1 min, 40 seconds (from the previous week). On Tuesday I did it 14 min, 50 seconds. It just all kind of clicked as far as strength in the pull and I didn't get tired w/ keeping up the momentum so each lap was consistent at 45 seconds. Now I need to focus on distance and start doing the 1.5 non-stop.

Last night I did an hour spin then a 5 mile run. That kicked me a little harder than I excpected.

I supposed I should also start sleeping with the window to get used to the cold. That was a suggestion from Gary Emich (the Alcatraz swim super star) in order for us to prep for the frigid waters. What is a possum jumps through my window in the middle of the night? :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. The swim portion isn't as bad as you would expect. Your wet suit & the water salinity will keep your legs up and floating nicely which makes the distance easier for you to cover. Make sure that you practice your sighting. I've done this swim several times now and it's really easy to drift off course which adds addtl yardage to your swim. One problem that I've always had is that I inevitably swallow sea water which gives me GI problems. Need to figure out how to combat it because it makes the bike portion a little uncomfortable... Good luck on your race. I'll see you in the transition area this year! Brian