Sunday, May 11, 2008

Ice Cream Headache


Well...this weekend I finally took the plunge into Lake Washington. It is supposed to be around 54-55 degrees right now, so it's right in synch w/ San Fran Bay. I went down the lake on Saturday and was not too excited about jumping in. I put my foot in the water and decided I'd procrastinate one more day and do it on Sunday.

Sunday rolls around and I had a great bike ride along the lake. I made it a point to climb any street that had a nice incline and hit one that was a bit too steep, so I had to do a quick jump off the bike mid way up the climb before I lost all fuel.

So post bike, it was time for the lake plunge. I was motivated and had a totally different attitude than the day prior. The guy fishing off the dock thought I was nuts. I tried to persuade him to join me but he just laughed. I'd say my swim lasted about two minutes. It honestly felt about 10 degrees colder than the Bay during my swim clinic, but I have a feeling it was right in sync. And I got a nice sharp ice cream headache too… so...this means...I better start doing these lake swims/plunges a couple times a week to acclimate or else I might be in for a rude awakening on June 8th.

Three more weeks to train and then the big day is here! Whoohooo!!

No comments: